A Very experienced DV and SC cleared Instructional Designer and Technical Author with an Aeronautical Engineering background. I run my own business and have recently completed several contracts with large corporations to design cutting edge instructional design and technical documentation for customers including EDF Energy, AWE, UK Armed Forces and Agusta Westland as well as numerous government department contracts.
I am very experienced in the use of numerous design, authoring and graphics packages which has enabled me to design a significant amount of courseware for the Royal Air Force, Royal Navy, Indian and South African Air Forces. Currently contracted to EDF Energy with a remit to produce and maintain Plant Maintenance, Plant Operating and Instrument Calibration documentation including nuclear generation systems maintenance procedures. DV Clearance is transferable to February 2020 and Security Clearance (SC) which is transferable until March 2022.
Previously, I worked for twenty three years as a Royal Air Force engineer employed on numerous aircraft types in locations throughout the world. I have gained a very broad engineering education/experience and have utilised all of my skills since leaving the RAF to produce bespoke technical publications and design industry leading courseware for clients around the world. I have excellent leadership skills and am a proven team player.
• 2006 Studied Renault F2K for Renault Technical Expert • 2004 Studied CAA Aircraft "Without Type Rating" A&C Engineering Licence • 2002 R.A.C. Automotive Technology Training • 2002 City & Guilds Licentiateship in Aeronautical Engineering – LCGI • 2000 NEBSM Level IV in Trade Management Training • 1999 VAX/VMS Commands and Utilities Computer Programming • 1998 – 2000 BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Aeronautical Engineering • 1985 – 1994 City & Guilds of London Parts II & III Aeronautical Engineering • 1979 – 1986 O Levels / GCSE including English, Economics and Mathematics
• Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society – MRAeS • Studying Adobe Captivate 8 and Framemaker 12 • Outstart Evolution Learning Content Management System (LCMS) software • NxTrain Learning Management System (LMS) software • Adobe Photoshop, Premier Elements 13 • Snagit 12 and Hypersnap 8 screen capture software • Mosaic Storyboard / Review Application software • P.P.S.E. – Pennant Presentation System (Editor) software • Toolbook 2004 Course Design software • Computer Based Training, Instructional Design Engineer • Designer's Edge Enterprise CBT Course Design Programming • Aircraft Technical Manual / Illustrated Parts Catalogue / Documentation Controller • Lockheed L1011 Tristar Aircraft Flight Telemetry and Data Analysis • Non-Destructive Testing – Specifically Dye Penetrant • MS Office Suite 2013 and MS Project
Dec 2006 – Oct 2009
Technical Author / Computer Based Training (CBT) Course Designer
• Contracted to Pennant PLC to be responsible for high level design documentation and course design. This required the assessment and updating of instructional courses for Gas Turbine Engine installation and removal, fuel system servicing and maintenance, fault diagnosis, engine ground running operations, fire detection systems, and aircraft hydraulic systems lessons. These lessons were for all marks of the RAF Chinook, the South African Hawk Mk120 and Indian Hawk Mk132. Designed using Mosaic, Toolbook, P.P.S.E. and Designer’s Edge and Audacity software.
• Subsequently, I secured multiple contracts for Pennant PLC with the MOD by designing and producing Chinook helicopter multimedia training programmes for propulsion system engineers.
• Produced numerous audio scripts and soundtracks for Hawk engine and systems lessons using Audacity software.
2003 – 2006
Chief Lane Technician
• Responsible to the owner for all aspects of the management and maintenance of an eight lane bowling alley. During this period I actively recruited staff and customers to take part in building and contributing to a vibrant and enthusiastic social arena, I instigated numerous successful charity fund raising events including 24 hour bowling marathons. Revenue for the club and owners generated from the bowling alley rose significantly during my tenure.
2000 – 2003
Aircraft Systems / Propulsion Systems Manager
• Engineering Manager of a workforce of over sixty skilled personnel. This involved; in addition to the duties listed below, the day-to-day management of a large fleet of passenger airliners and refuelling tankers to tight deadlines, in an extremely busy and hectic environment.
• Duties included all aspects of VC10 aircraft propulsion and associated systems fault diagnosis and rectification. Documentation Controller responsible for a period of three years, for the management of all aspects of aircraft maintenance documentation and Technical Manuals, including all technical amendments, using several computer systems and software packages.
• Responsible for managing the career development of those engineers under my control, including the structure of training and workforce development, personal administration, strict adherence of Health and Safety regulations as well as Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH).
• Also responsible to the management for the career assessment, potential and recommendation of future junior managers and supervisors as well as personal education advice for junior team members.
1998 – 2000
Ground Replay Analysis Facility (GRAF) Computer Systems Manager
• Responsible for the Flight Data Analysis systems of the Royal Air Force Tristar fleet. This entailed the use of VAX/VMS programming to carry out the detailed analysis of up to three hundred parameters on take-off, during flight and on landing.
• Instrumental in implementing improvements in the use of Tristar flight data analysis systems. Ensured the smooth running of the Tristar fleet through greater use of flight data analysis.
1980 – 1998
Propulsion Systems Engineer/Supervisor
• Gas Turbine Engine/Fuel systems trade supervisor responsible to the propulsion manager for six engineers. Duties include; diagnostics, propulsion system component replacement and certain aspects of career development and education of subordinate personnel.
• Supervised propulsion teams during overseas operations including, but not limited to: The Middle East, Far East, Africa, Germany, Italy, the United States and the Falklands. Supervised the fault diagnosis and rectification of all Tristar propulsion, fuel and associated systems. Responsible to the Documentation Controller for the implementation of Tristar Technical Manual amendments.
• Gas Turbine systems engineer on various aircraft propulsion, fuel, oil and hydraulic systems. Utilising relevant Technical Manuals for the removal, fault diagnosis and replacement of various components on numerous aircraft, including jet fighters, helicopters, transport aircraft and wide-bodied airliners.
Running my business, Self-Improvement, Travel, German Language, Skiing, Golf, Football, Ten Pin Bowling, Music, Reading, Cinema, Theatre and Information Technology.